Sky Rainforest Rescue Schools Challenge
WEBSITE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Thank you for visiting the Sky Rainforest Rescue Schools Challenge website. Please read these terms and conditions carefully. Use of this site constitutes your acceptance of these Terms, which take effect on the date that you first use the site. If you do not agree to these Terms please do not use this site.
Global Action Plan, supported by Sky and WWF, provides access and use of this site. References in these Terms to “we” or “us” or “our” refer to © Global Action Plan 2007/08 - Registered charity 1026148 Head Office – 9-13 Kean Street, London WC2B 4AY, Tel. 020 7420 4444 Fax. 020 783 67345
- Global Action Plan reserves the right to change these Terms at any time. Please check these Terms on a regular basis for changes. Your continued use of the site after changes are posted will mean you accept the Terms as modified by the posted changes.
- You agree to use this site only for lawful purposes, and in a manner that does not infringe the rights of anyone else, nor restrict or inhibit their use and enjoyment of this site.
- By using the Website you confirm that you are eligible to use the Website (e.g. a Head Teacher of a primary or secondary school in the UK or Republic of Ireland eligible to participate in the Sky Rainforest Rescue Schools Challenge (the “Programme”) or someone authorised by such a Head Teacher) and you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions of use of the Website (the “Terms”) except where there are separate terms and conditions relevant to particular areas of this Website, which are indicated on the appropriate Website page. If you do not accept our terms, please do not use the Website.
- Whenever we ask you to give us information, you agree to provide complete and accurate information. It is your responsibility to ensure that the information provided by you on registration or at any other time is correct and complete. You must inform us immediately of any changes to the information that you provided when registering by updating your school’s details.
- When you use your email address and password you are authorising us to carry out all the instructions you have given us on this Website.
- In order to maintain security, we will only allow you to log on and access your school’s profile details if you use your username and password.
- You must make sure that you do not disclose your password to individuals who are not authorised to access your school’s profile.
- The copyright and other intellectual property rights in the material contained in this Website belong to its licensed owner or us. Where data is from a third party the source will be provided. You may copy any part of this material under the following conditions
- You may only make a copy for your school’s non-commercial use.
- The copies must keep all copyright and other proprietary notices intact.
- Copyright and other intellectual property rights protect images, text and teaching materials on this website and you must not reproduce them or use them in any way without the owner’s written permission.
- We have the right to disable or delete your school’s accounts where we reasonably believe your school:
- Has not provided accurate contact details when registering for the Programme.
- We will attempt to contact you by email when we disable or delete a school’s account.
- If we disable or delete your school’s account, you can ask us for a new online account at any time provided you are eligible to participate in the Programme.
- We reserve the right in our sole discretion to deny any user access to this site or any part of it without prior notice.
- Certain hypertext links on this Website will take you to websites that are not under our control. When you click on any of these links, you will leave our Website. We have no control over, and will accept no responsibility or liability for, the material on any other website. We will not accept any responsibility or liability for websites we frame.
- Although we have taken care in preparing the contents of this Website, we do not provide any warranties of any kind as to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained on this Website. As far as the law allows, we will exclude all warranties in respect of any materials or products referred to on this Website.
- We do not warrant that the functions or materials on this Website, or which you can access from this Website, will be uninterrupted or free from errors, that we will correct any errors, or that this Website or the server that makes it available are virus-or bug-free or represent the full functionality (range), accuracy and reliability of the materials.
- We are not responsible if you cannot access or use the Website due to the failure of any machine, data-processing system or transmission link, any period of maintenance, change, repairs, and alteration to or failure of computer systems, any industrial dispute or anything beyond our reasonable control or beyond that of our agents or sub-contractors.
- If any of these Terms (or any terms and conditions referred to on this Website) should be determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable under the laws of any country in which the terms and conditions are meant to be effective, we will delete the relevant terms (only in the state or country where they are illegal, invalid or unenforceable) and the remaining terms and conditions will continue to be effective, binding and enforceable. Nothing in these terms and conditions excludes our liability for death or personal injury resulting from our negligence.
Changes to these Terms
- We have the right to change these Terms at any time by putting the changes on this Website. It is your responsibility to read the Terms regularly to make sure you are aware of any changes. If you use this Website after we have made a change to the Terms, we will take this to mean you have accepted the revised Terms.
COMPETITION TERMS & CONDITIONS
How to participate
1. Start date: 1st November 2012
2. Closing date: 15 June 2013.
3. Announcement of winners from 2012/13 Competition: on or around 22 June 2013
4. All state and independent primary and secondary schools from the UK and ROI are eligible for entry.
5. Schools and teams need access to the internet to participate in the competition.
6. A team must comprise of up to ten students aged between 8 and 14 years old who attend the school which entered the team.
7. There can be a maximum of 3 registered teams from any school.
8. Only one entry per registered team
9. There will be one overall Grand Prize winning team which will receive £1,000 for their school (€1,200 if it is a Republic of Ireland school). There will also be Regional Prize winning teams who will each win £500 for their school (€600 if it is a Republic of Ireland school).
1. To be eligible to be judged as a winner a team must have completed the challenge which comprises all of the following:
- Creating a team
- Selecting a challenge
- Doing the introduction lesson
- Doing a first measurement
- Inputting the findings on their team HQ
- Completing the minimum number of actions assigned to them
- Completed at least five blog posts
- Doing a final measurement
- Inputting the findings on their team HQ
- Achieved a measurable positive improvement for at least one key measure
- Accepting the competition terms & conditions
- Further details on these requirements can be found at: skyrainforestrescueschoolschallenge.org
2. The requirements of the challenge shall be determined at the sole discretion of the Promoters.
3. Teams will be judged by the completion of the above process plus:
- Level of detail supplied in blog posts about the activities undertaken as part of the challenge
- Level of innovation shown in creating additional actions
- Evidence of participation in activities by people living or working local to the school other that teachers or students
- Evidence of consideration given to the sustainability of changes to the school systems and infrastructure that reduce the environmental impact of the school.
- Level of impact demonstrated by measurements of core indicators for each challenge
4. The final winner will be judged by a panel consisting of representatives from Sky, Global Action Plan and WWF (together the “Promoters”).
5. Schools must follow the audit and data entry process laid out on the Sky Rainforest Rescue Schools Challenge website. Any failure to follow this process will disqualify the entry. Late, incomplete or otherwise ineligible entries will be disqualified.
6. The Promoters reserve the right to request documentation to support information submitted by schools in each audit to verify the quality and accuracy of information.
7. The Promoters’ decision is final and binding in all respects on all teams entering the competition. No correspondence will be entered into. Entries that do not comply in full with these competition terms and conditions will be disqualified.
8. All individual school data collected (including any personal data) will be used by the Promoters solely for the purpose of administering the competition and will not be shared with any other persons.
- The Grand Prize winner will receive £1,000 for their school (€1,200 if it is a Republic of Ireland school). The remaining Regional Prize winners will receive £500 each for their school (€600 if it is a Republic of Ireland school).
- The Grand Prize and Regional Prize winners will be informed by email on or around 22 June 2013 and followed up by telephone confirmation to the relevant school.
- The overall Grand Prize winners will also receive the opportunity to travel to Sky to take part in a Sky Skills Studio workshop to produce a short film about the rainforest (around 3-5 minutes) which will be on the Sky Rainforest Rescue Schools Challenge and other BSkyB, WWF and Global Action Plan websites (details to be confirmed at the time), and may be broadcast on any Sky television channel. Copies will also be made available to the school on DVD. Suitable travel to and from London will be arranged by BSkyB for up to two adults and ten students to a maximum value of £1,000. The winner will be confirmed on or around the 22 June 2013.
- Cheques for the prize money will be posted to the schools once their entry has been verified.
- Other prizes may be awarded on an ad hoc basis over the course of the competition. The award of any such prizes is entirely at the discretion of the Promoters.
- The names, school and photographs of the members of the winning teams may be used by the Promoters and their associated companies for post-event publicity purposes. Members of the winning teams agree to allow the Promoters to use their name and likeness for advertising and publicity purposes without additional remuneration.
- The Promoters may use the website for research for publicity purposes. No individuals or individual schools will be identified in this process by name. This information will be aggregated information and comprise solely the number of schools and total number of individuals involved in the competition.
- Non-winners will not be informed directly, but the information will be publicised on the skyrainforestrescueschoolschallenge.org website.
- Results are also available via post by sending a stamped, self addressed envelope after 1 June 2012 to: Sky Rainforest Rescue Schools Challenge Competition Winners, c/o Global Action Plan, 9-13 Kean Street, London WC2B 4AY.
Other terms and conditions
- Employees (or family members of employees) of any BSkyB group company, companies associated with the competition and all affiliates of such companies may not be a member of a team that enters the competition.
- The Promoters do not accept responsibility for network, computer or software failures of any kind, which may restrict or delay the sending or receipt of any aspect of a team’s entry. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt.
- There is no cash alternative to the prize awarded to the overall winning team or any other non-cash prize awarded. Unless agreed otherwise in writing prizes are non-refundable and non transferable.
- The Promoters reserves the right to substitute the prize awarded to the overall winning team or any other non-cash prize for a prize of equivalent or greater monetary value if this is necessary for reasons beyond their control.
- Except in the case of death or personal injury arising from their negligence or in respect of fraud and so far as is permitted by law, the Promoters and their associated companies and agents exclude responsibility and all liabilities arising from any postponement, cancellation, delay or changes to the prize details beyond the Promoters control and for any act or default of any third party supplier.
- The terms and conditions of any other third party supplier will also apply to the prize awarded to the overall winning team where applicable. If there is a conflict between third party terms and conditions and these terms and conditions, these shall take precedence.
- The Promoters will not be liable for any prize(s) that do not reach the winners for reasons beyond the Promoters’ reasonable control.
- If a winning team cannot be contacted within a reasonable time period or are not able or available to accept the prize for any reason which is beyond the Promoters’ reasonable control, then the Promoters reserve the right to award the prize to another team.
- The Promoters may refuse or disqualify any entry (including winning entries) if the team concerned or anyone authorised by the team to deal with their entry, acts in a way towards a Promoter or its staff which the Promoter in question reasonably consider to be inappropriate, unlawful or offensive. If the winning team is disqualified the Promoters reserve the right to award the prize to another team.
- Teams will be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions and agreed to be bound by them when entering the competition.
- This competition, and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. Entrants irrevocably agree that the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim that arises out of or in connection with this competition.
British Sky Broadcasting Group plc
Middlesex TW7 5QD
Global Action Plan
9-13 Kean Street
Panda House Weyside Park Godalming Surrey
Terms & Conditions
The Sky Rainforest Rescue Schools Challenge has been developed in partnership between the leading environmental behaviour change charity Global Action Plan, Sky and WWF.